A Community for an Off The Grid Lifestyle

Canadian Conservation Land Tax Incentive

Property Tax Relief if you are a Landowner

How to get property tax relief if you are a landowner and agree to protect ‘provincially important’ natural heritage features on your property.

Property Tax Relief

Pieter Brueghel the Younger via Wikimedia Commons

This sounds like a great idea, but is it as great as it sound?

How it works

Under the Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program (CLTIP), you could qualify for a 100% property tax exemption for land that has important natural heritage features.

The area needs to be:

  • evaluated and identified by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) as being a ‘provincially important’ eligible feature
  • 1/5 of a hectare (1/2 acre) or larger in size

You also need to:

  • commit to protecting the designated portion of your property
  • allow MNRF staff to inspect it if requested

What is eligible

Eligible types of land are:

  • provincially significant wetlands
  • provincially significant areas of natural and scientific interest (lands with significant geological and biological features)
  • Niagara Escarpment escarpment natural area (lands in a natural state and associated stream valleys, wetlands and forests that are relatively undisturbed)
  • habitats of endangered species, where specific guidelines for the CLTIP have been developed
  • Community Conservation Lands (restricted to non-profit charitable conservation organizations and conservation authorities)

Buildings or other improvements and associated land are not eligible for property tax relief.

There is always a catch, it would appear that this is not just a one and down.  This is a program that requires you to apply every year to remain qualified for the program.  Which I would also imagine means that at any point the government can pull the plug on the program.  If it sounds too good, or too easy…  It likely is.

Click here to find all the details for the full Conversation Land Tax Incentive Program within the province of Ontario, and how to apply.

Leave a Reply

CanadianOffTheGrid.com © 2020